May 17, 2016
In order to qualify for a J-1 visa as a trainee, applicants must be accepted to participate in a certified training program in the U.S. To participate in a training program, applicants must have a post-secondary qualification and at least one year of work experience OR at least five years of work experience in their occupational field. Training programs are available in a range of fields, including the following:
• Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing;
• Arts and Culture;
• Building and Construction;
• Education, Social Science, Library Science, Counselling and Social Services;
• Health related occupations;
• Hospitality and Tourism;
• Information Media and Communications;
• Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
• Public Administration and Law;
• Science, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial occupations.
J-1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.