M-1 Visa for Vocational Students

M-1 Visa for Vocational Students

An M-1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows international students to attend an accredited vocational or non-academic school, such as a trade school or practical training school.

International students wishing to enroll in academic study or English language studies may be able to apply for an F-1 Visa

M-1 Visa Entitlements

An M-1 visa entitles the holder to undertake vocational study in the U.S. at an accredited educational institution. An M-1 visa is usually granted for the duration of the course to a maximum of one year and extensions may be granted. An M-1 visa also entitles the holder to engage in practical training or related temporary employment upon completion of their course.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (M-2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the U.S. An accompanying spouse cannot accept employment or engage in study without obtaining an appropriate work or student visa, but accompanying children are entitled to attend primary and secondary school in the US.

M-1 Visa Requirements

To qualify for an M-1 visa, the applicant must be enrolled full-time in a vocational or non-academic education program at an approved institution in the U.S. Full-time study is defined as a minimum of 18 hours of study per week. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their course and that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their studies.

M-1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

Please hold while your application is being analyzed.