May 17, 2016

J-1 Visa Requirements for Research Scholars

To qualify for a J-1 visa as a research scholar in the U.S., the applicant must be accepted to participate in a certified research scholar exchange program in the U.S.

To participate in a research scholar exchange program, the applicant must be a research scholar in a foreign country, be engaged in research in a specific area that they have made significant contributions to and meet the sponsoring organization’s specific requirements.

Furthermore, the applicant must not be a candidate for a tenure track position or have completed a research scholar exchange program in the 24 months preceding the start of the new program. Applicants who have held a J-1 visa during the 12 month period preceding the start of the research scholar exchange program may not be eligible; however there are some exceptions to this requirement.

J-1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

Please hold while your application is being analyzed.