May 17, 2016
To qualify for a J-1 visa for interns, the applicant must be sponsored to participate in an approved intern program. To participate in an intern program, the applicant must be a post-secondary school student or have graduated from post-secondary school within the previous 12 months. Internships are available in a range of fields, including:
• Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing;
• Arts and Culture;
• Building and Construction;
• Education, Social Science, Library Science, Counselling and Social Services;
• Health related occupations;
• Hospitality and Tourism;
• Information Media and Communications;
• Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
• Public Administration and Law;
• Science, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial occupations.
J-1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.