May 17, 2016

O-1 Visa Entitlements

An O-1 visa entitles the holder to live and work in the US temporarily. An O-1 visa is usually granted for an initial period of up to 3 years and extensions may be granted. Foreign workers with an O-1 visa are permitted dual intent, meaning the applicant can maintain O-1 visa status while applying for a to remain in the US permanently.

Persons wishing to accompany O-1 visa applicants who are artists or athletes may be eligible to apply for an O-2 visa if the individual’s skill set and experience are very essential to the completion of the O-1 visa applicant’s work.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (O-3 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States but are not empowered by the United States government to undertake any employment without obtaining an appropriate work visa.

Please hold while your application is being analyzed.